TECHNET Archives

March 1997

From:
Ed Cosper <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 5 Mar 1997 10:54:09 -0600
Steve,

DONT EVER THROW ANYTHING OUT SIMPLY BASED ON SHELF LIFE!!!
Suppliers will spec in a shelf life well within a worst case scenario of storage conditions.
The 6 month shelf life on Prepreg I feel is arbitrary at best. To eliminate the shelf life issue for B stage, I simple added to our procedures that after the manufactures shelf life has expired, we can ( and do) retest the material by scale flow methods. We will then certify the material for an additional 30 days. We will simply keep re-testing as needed. As long as it passes the test, we will use it. This has never been a problem for me or any facility including military shops. As long as the Government ( DSCC) has approved your procedures, I consider the re-testing to be viable and compliant.

Hope this helps.

Ed Cosper
Director, Quality Assurance and Engineering
Graphic Electronics Inc.
Tulsa, OK