TECHNET Archives

March 1997

Date:
Mon, 31 Mar 1997 22:34:49 +0300
Shabtai,
As I understood, you are producing double sided PTFE boards and so I don't
think there is a serious need for desmear on them.
Furthermore, the PTFE is relatively soft, thus causing lower friction and
lower heat generation during drilling and its melting point is high,
relative to most dielectrics. These advantages lower the probability of
drill smear.

The surface preparation that I use is sodium etch - it activates the PTFE
surface without causing the high surface
roughness that plasma treatment causes.

I cannot make out exactly what is the fault that you observe, but if you
wish to discuss the issue feel free to call me up on 03-5720393

--------------------

At 07:10 AM 3/31/97 +0300, you wrote:
>Hi Techneters
>
>We have done preliminary trials with produsing PTFE laminates, including
>drilling -
>-desmear & hole preparatin by plasma - glass etch - plating. The laminates
>are double side 'Cuclad 217' 0.005" (Teflon with glass cloth). After plating
>we have visualy examined the holes ander microscope & we are observing
>plated particals sticked to the hole wall. We think that these are plated
>glass edges.
>Please, Can anyone advice how to eliminate this problem.
>Sh. Shalev
>Eltek Ltd - Israel
>Tel  972 3 9395050
>Fax 972 3 9309581
>E-mail :  [log in to unmask]

>* If you are having a problem with the IPC TechNet forum please contact   *
>* Dmitriy Sklyar at 847-509-9700 ext. 311 or email at [log in to unmask]      *

    *          Yehuda E. Weisz              *
    *  e-mail: [log in to unmask]   *
    *  Tel: 972-3-5240362                    *