TECHNET Archives

March 1997

Date:
Wed, 26 Mar 1997 16:29:40 -0800

I also heard (at a seminar) that ISO was greek meaning "all things equal".
  But since then, I have not been able to find that bit of trivia anywhere
else!
 ----------
From: Ed Cosper <ed
Subject:  The meaning of ISO
Date: Wednesday, March 26, 1997 3:56PM

Dear colleagues,

I have a trivial question but it is driving me crazy. I have heard for =
years that ISO is an acronym for the International Organization for =
Standardization. However, if this is the case would not IOS be more =
appropriate?

The reason I ask is that I recently attended an ISO 9001 lead assessors =
course put on by IRCA. I was informed by the instructor that ISO does =
not stand for the International Organization for Standards but is =
actually a Greek word meaning the same as or equal to. Furthermore, I =
was taught that this is intended only as a  prefix to a given =
specification or guideline number. I found the definition to be true =
according to the dictionary and I thought I understood what the letters =
( or word) ISO stood for and its intended use.

However, in all of the forwards I have read in your published =
documentation it is typically written " ISO ( the International =
Organization for Standardization) ". This leads one to understand that =
ISO does in fact stand for the International Organization for =
Standardization.

Perhaps someone in the organization can shed some light on this issue =
for me despite the trivial nature of this request. I would really =
appreciate it.

Sincerely,

Ed Cosper
Director, Quality Assurance and Engineering
Graphic Electronics, Inc.
Tulsa, OK
USA