TECHNET Archives

March 1997

From:
Ed Cosper <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 26 Mar 1997 17:36:29 -0600

Dear colleagues,

I have a trivial question but it is driving me crazy. I have heard for years that ISO is an acronym for the International Organization for Standardization. However, if this is the case would not IOS be more appropriate?

The reason I ask is that I recently attended an ISO 9001 lead assessors course put on by IRCA. I was informed by the instructor that ISO does not stand for the International Organization for Standards but is actually a Greek word meaning the same as or equal to. Furthermore, I was taught that this is intended only as a  prefix to a given specification or guideline number. I found the definition to be true according to the dictionary and I thought I understood what the letters ( or word) ISO stood for and its intended use.

However, in all of the forwards I have read in your published documentation it is typically written " ISO ( the International Organization for Standardization) ". This leads one to understand that ISO does in fact stand for the International Organization for Standardization.

Perhaps someone in the organization can shed some light on this issue for me despite the trivial nature of this request. I would really appreciate it.

Sincerely,

Ed Cosper
Director, Quality Assurance and Engineering
Graphic Electronics, Inc.
Tulsa, OK
USA