TECHNET Archives

March 1997

From:
Ed Cosper <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 26 Mar 1997 11:29:05 -0600
Scott,

Typically you want to use a rivet that is approximately .150" in height with a flat base. Remember you are not typically trying to rivet a total .062 thickness  The rivet I used to use when I was mass laminating was a type SE43. We purchased it from a company called the PCI group. I think they were somewhere in Mass. My most recent employer purchased the rivets from a company called AEI or AllKay Electronics Inc. They are somewhere in the 818 area code.  You also want the rivet OD to be smaller than the drilled / punched hole. It is the bite of the flange that holds the layers together and not the sides of the rivet. For example, if you drill a .126" holes, then I would recommend using a .122 OD rivet.

Another important factor is to insure you leave copper around the rivet holes. You  do not want to bite into glass. Ideally, when you rivet the layers together, you want copper against copper.

Regarding the gap setting, I don't know. I always riveted using the amount of applied force as a stopping point. But again, I also did a lot of hand riveting.

I hope this information is what you are looking for. Best of luck.

Sincerely,

Ed Cosper
Director Quality Assurance and Engineering
Graphic Electronics, Inc.
Tulsa, OK