TECHNET Archives

March 1997

From:
[log in to unmask] (Doug McKean)
Reply To:
Date:
Tue, 04 Mar 1997 14:23:26 -0500
Circo Craft Co inc. wrote:

> Good afternoon
>
> I work with ATI machines (CNC routing machine) to cut printed circuit at
> the end of the manufacturing process. We encounter a problem lately
> whith the control unit of the machine. Trough a program, the machine
> completly looses all its data and continues to cut anywhere, which
> creates important losses. We believes that this problem has to do whith
> static electricity and all the machine has been grounded including the
> panels from which the circuits are cut out and the operators. Still the
> problem comes back from time to time. Did anyone experienced this
> problem and has sloved it?
>
> Richard Bilodeau
> Process technician
> routing department
> Circo Craft CO inc.

Hi Richard,

I'm not in the board business but have worked on a routing
machine in another entirely different line of work.

Does the machine have a vacuum hose for pickup?

That's a great place for ESD to build up on a NON-conductive
surface, i.e. no bleed off until it discharges all at once.

We had to run a bare 12 AWG wire from end to end down the
inside of the vacuum hose.

Regards, Doug

  The comments and opinions stated herein are mine alone,
          and do not reflect those of my employer.