TECHNET Archives

March 1997

From:
[log in to unmask] (Jerry Cupples)
Date:
Mon, 24 Mar 1997 16:24:58 -0600
Fred Paul posted this:

>> From: Dolly Lefever <[log in to unmask]>
>> Date: Sat, 22 Mar 1997 10:19:43 -0800
>> Subject: TCE
>> To: [log in to unmask]
>>
>> Hi  I have TCE listed as a substance which suppresses my immune system.
>> I'm ignorant as to what product(s) this is in and the most likely place
>> that I may be in contact.  I'm a health care provider.
>> Would you have information regarding substances that still have TCE
>> in them?

Look at the Material Safety Data Sheets of any materials you use which
contain solvents. If you don't know what an MSDS is, you should have
someone explain them, and be aware that it is now an OSHA requirement under
the "right to know" amendment that all workers have access to these data
and an explanation of their significance.

I agree that this is most likely trichlorethylene CCl2=CHCl. It used to be
a very poplular organic solvent with widespread industrial and laboratory
useage. In the 70's it was found to be carcinogenic, and is no longer
commonly used. Carcinogenesis is probably pretty much like
immunosuppression, one will get you the other.

It could also be 1,1,1-trichloroethane C2H3Cl3, (sometimes called methyl
chloroform or chlorothene). This solvent was once very popular as a
defluxer and cleaning solvent in the electronics assembly business. In the
90's, it was found to be an ozone depleting chemical.

At Interphase, we have pretty much given up on solvents except isopropanol
and the "universal solvent", the very powerful hydrogen oxide.

As Fred points out, any tech type who wants a valuable desk reference on
chemicals should buy a copy of the Merck Index. I believe the latest issue
is the eleventh edition. My copy has come in handy many times.

regards,

Jerry Cupples
Interphase Corporation
Dallas, TX USA