TECHNET Archives

March 1997

From:
Mike Wolverton <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Mike Wolverton <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 21 Mar 1997 15:42:08 -0800
	Gold embrittlement is well understood, but not widely understood.

	The good news is, the risk of gold embrittlement has been quantified.
It is a function of the solder density and the allowable (maximum) percent
gold. The maximum ratio of gold finish thickness to solder alloy thickness can
be calculated, to help prevent a problem from excessive gold-tin (i.e., AuSn4)
compound. For the equation and its derivation, please refer to a paper of mine,
"The Use of Capillary Action Measurements for Solderability Improvement,"
Soldering and Surface Mount Technology, No. 9, Oct., 1991, Wela Publications,
Ayr, Scotland, Table 5.

	It is interesting to note, The Embrittlement culprit, AuSn4 is 29
weight percent gold. So even if one had 100% tin as the solder alloy and 10%
gold were dissolved into the solder, then about a third of the solder joint
would be rocks (i.e., compound) and the remainder would be soft solder. Do not
count on the rocks to bond to the solderable surface. Hence most
recommendations I have seen have been in the 3 to 5 weight % gold range for the
maximum allowable percent.

	Gold is dissolved by molten tin based solder, but the gold does not go
into solution (i.e., the result is not a solid solution). For more details on
the mechanism and explanation, please refer to a paper of mine: "Understanding
Gold Embrittlement in Surface-Mount Soldering," ISHM's 1st Joint Technology
Conference, San Diego, March, 1990 (//WWW.ISHM.EE.VT.EDU). Incidentally, ISHM
changed its name to IMAPS, (703) 758-1060.

The above represents my own view, and not necessarily that of my employer.

Mike Wolverton
Texas Instruments

Original text