TECHNET Archives

March 1997

From:
"SCOTT BALLER" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 21 Mar 97 06:44:59 PST
  This is a classic problem with "double sided cap construction".  The outer
  cores are expanding and contracting at the CTE of your lamination plates and
  separator plates.  Your internal cores are expanding and contracting at the
  CTE of their copper cladding.  If you are stuck with using "double sided
  cap" construction, try using what are called a "clutch plate" inserts.  When
  laying up your panel, first put down a sacrificial piece of foil, then a ply
  of 1080 pre-preg, then a piece of sacrificial foil (This creates the "clutch
  plate" effect), you then lay-up your panel directly on the "clutch plate",
  finishing with another "clutch plate" insert on the top of the panel stack.
  This will allow the two outer cores to move the same as the internal
  cores...  It does add cost to the process, but it is difficult to scale or
  adjust the outer cores to the variables of expansion in your metal
  lamination plates...

  Good Luck,

  Scott Baller
  Engineering Manager