TECHNET Archives

March 1997

From:
Andy Burkhardt <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 21 Mar 1997 14:47:54 GMT
At 10:21 20/02/97 PST, you wrote:

>I have seen a lot of information regarding striplines and microstrips,
>but what about two traces routed as a pair without ground planes.  It is
>quite common in a Printed Circuit Board that there is a need to route a
>pair, like a tip and ring of a T1.  These should be a controlled
>impedance to ensure minimize reflections,  these also need to be void of
>ground or power planes to minimize noise and impedance to ground.  Does
>there exist an equation to determine the impedance between two traces
>without ground planes?

>* If you are having a problem with the IPC TechNet forum please contact   *
>* Dmitriy Sklyar at 847-509-9700 ext. 311 or email at [log in to unmask]      *

John,

Yes there are, but the maths is not simple.  The structure you are referring
to is a co-planar strip transmission line.  This may be constructed on a
single layer PCB or it is possible to add a ground plane.

The formula involves evaluation of Elliptic Integrals, but you may be able to
get an approximate correlation with the following simplified equation for a
parallel twin line (two wires side by side, wire radius = a, centre to centre
spacing distance = d, Dielectric constant of spacing medium = Er)

        Zo = (120/SQR(Er))*ln(d/a)

        where ln is natural log and d >> a

I would also suggest substituting Er' (Effective dielectric constant) for Er.
eg Er(AIR) = 1, Er(FR-4) = 4, so Er'(AIR&FR-4 combination) = 3 (approx)

A good indepth book on the subject is:

"Transmission Line Design Handbook", by Brian C. Wadell

1991 Artech House, Inc, ISBN 0-89006-436-9

         Artech House Publishers
         685 Canton Street               Tel: (617) 769-9750
         Norwood, MA 02062               Fax: (617) 769-6334

I hope this information helps.  Please email me if you require further
assistance.

Best regards

Andy Burkhardt <[log in to unmask]>
Tel: + 44 1481 53081