TECHNET Archives

March 1997

From:
Ed Cosper <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 4 Mar 1997 10:25:44 -0600
James,

I must agree with your statement but I feel I should clarify my original response regarding the comment about board shops not being able to maintain the 2 mg/sq. in. The key is maintaining. To maintain this requirement on any given lot of product consistently will typically require an added special cleaning step. Perhaps more than one. This will add costs to the board which most customers are not happy to hear about. In addition, as noted in my original response, my experience stemmed from one of our customers using a heated bath during testing. Our internal test results after our standard ionic cleaning process didn't even register any contamination after 10 minutes. Yet my customer showed in excess 4 mg/sq. in on a random sample. Although it did not result in a rejection, my customer was concerned because our certification data didn't match what they were getting. I am sure the requirement can be maintained with the appropriate cleaning process. But at what cost?

By the way, is this 2 mg / sq. in. becoming a more prevalent requirement in today's market?
I need to know this so I can get a jump on the equipment needed to test it to that degree.
All responses will be appreciated.

Thank you,

Ed Cosper