TECHNET Archives

March 1997

From:
"Maguire, James F" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 20 Mar 1997 08:43:27 -0800
I read mail in wrong order, I should add that we had a big "flap" about
"blue solder" and found that ours was indeed (as Dave mentioned) an
etching effect.  We did extensive surface analysis (ESCA, SEM/EDX, FTIR
(extractive and reflective)) and showed (a) no residues (organic,
inorganic, etc) and b) that the "blue" areas were associated with etched
solder (one phase of the eutectic etching preferentially to the other)
where the eutectic structure spacing was ~that of blue light (ie. it
created a surface that would reflect white light as blue).

Cool stuff from analytical standpoint but we tossed a lot of cash
finding it out.  If you need more details of analysis please call.

Jim Maguire
Senior Principal Engineer
Boeing Defense & Space Group
(206)657-9063     fax 657-8903