TECHNET Archives

March 1997

Date:
Wed, 19 Mar 97 12:13:05 MST
We are presently using vapor phase batch soldering on assemblies.  We
have done double sided assembly in the past, however one side was
always small capacitors/resistors.  A job is coming up in the future
where we may need to do double sided assembly on a board with
flatpacks on both sides (20-40 leaded about 25 pitch).  I was wondering
what type of material pr process is being used on double sided
assemblies to hold the parts on during the soldering of the second side.

I've heard about some adhesives others are using but they require a
cure time in an oven.  The problem created:

1) If you put the adhesive and the part on after the solder paste, the
curing of the adhesive will dry out the solder paste, creating solderball
city.

2) If you put the adhesive and the part down first, you can't screen the
paste.

Is there some kind of different adhesive out there or a different process
anyone knows about?

Thanks for your time

Dean May
NSWC Crane