TECHNET Archives

March 1997

Date:
Wed, 19 Mar 97 08:35:44 PST8
     Bill,
        I have experienced the condition you are describing when we were
     using similar process materials and equipment.
        We found RANDOM granular solder joint occurred were there was large
     thermal mass that resulted in very slow cooling of those joints. Solder
     joints at heavy voltage or ground planes, buss bars, and components that
     had large leads, would often result in this condition.
        We were able to reduce this some by providing additional cooling at the
     exit of the wave to help cool the assembly quicker and by dropping our
     processing temperatures a little.

     Dan Botts
     Hughes Training Inc.