TECHNET Archives

March 1997

From:
Bob Metcalf <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 18 Mar 1997 14:56:56 -0800
Richard, as a solder mask manufacture, I have had considerable
experience with conformal coatings, and adhesion issues to solder mask.

The place to start, is contacting the solder mask supplier and determine if
they suspect any comparability issues between the two coatings. We
normally test all new solder masks with at least one representative of
each conformal coating family, epoxy, urethane, etc. It isn't unusual to
see some groups have less adhesion to a given solder mask.

Another area of concern is application of the conformal coating. I have
experience cases where the thickness of the conformal coating has
caused  adhesion failures. In many such cases, simply increasing the
thickness of the conformal coating has eliminated the problem. Involve the
manufacture of the conformal coating to insure it is being applied per their
guidelines.

If you need more help, give me a call

Bob Metcalf
Morton Electronic Materials
714-730-8356

>>> "Blanchet,Richard" <[log in to unmask]> 03/18/97 01:27pm

Hello,

When encountering conformal coating to solder mask adhesion problems,
guess one of the usual place to look first is the cleanliness of the boards.
 But what if we don't have any problems applicating the acrylic coating
(indicating that the board musn't be that dirty), the Omega test results are
as usual (I know there can be some escapes) and, apparently, nothing
seems
wrong elsewhere ?

Since I'm not that much experienced, I would appreciate any advice on
adhesion of conformal coating and any reference to publications, past
experience or else.

Thank you.

Richard Blanchet
Manufacturing Engineer
Canadian Marconi

* If you are having a problem with the IPC TechNet forum please contact
*