TECHNET Archives

March 1997

From:
Pratap Singh <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Tue, 18 Mar 1997 09:00:14 -0800
SVEBA wrote:

> Hi friends,
> In order to  make high produceability in the soldering process of boards,
> it is necessary to prepare the gold plated components before assembly. This is
> stated in ANSI/J-STD-001, which does not allow any gold at all on the component legs.
>
> Is it, anyway, possible to specify a limit of gold thickness on the comp. connections, below which
> it is not necessary to extract the gold before soldering? Does anyone have a opinion
> about that?
>
> Sven-Eric Backstrom
> Ericsson Saab Avionics
> Sweden

> * If you are having a problem with the IPC TechNet forum please contact   *
> * Dmitriy Sklyar at 847-509-9700 ext. 311 or email at [log in to unmask]      *
YES, this subject has come before. Gold in solder joint is a reliability
concern. It depends upon the amount of gold in the joint. Some say 2 %
by weight is ok while some say upto 3 % by weight is OK.

Gold continues to react with solder (Sn) to form intermetallics even at
room temperature. So the trick is to see that all gold is uniformly
dissolved in the joint. My recommendation is to stay with 2% by weight
of gold in the joint. You can calculate what that will translate to in
terms of gold thickness. My experience is that up to 30 microinches of
gold thickness can be tolerated on leads of PIH components if you are
wave soldering on a dual wave machine. No data on SMT joints.