TECHNET Archives

March 1997

Date:
Fri, 14 Mar 97 15:08:48 EST
     After forwarding your message, I was advised by our components
     engineer to recommend your looking at CALCE's web site.

Subject: RE: Commercial components in Military apps.
Author:  [log in to unmask] at SMTPpost
Date:    3/14/97 11:52 AM

Greg,

I am assuming by commercial that you are referring to the screening
process.  Obviously commercial temperature parts can not be put in place
of military temperature parts.  But many manufacturers, produce the
military temperature range parts without the military screening.

We have experienced this same problem in the past.  It really depends on
your requirements to the military.  In our case, the contract read that
the part would be 883 or equivalent.  Because of that, we were able to
test the parts with an outside testing agency (because the JAN or 883
part was not made) and then do a system test where we showed that the
whole system would run at the temperate that was specified in the
design.  Again we were able to do that because of how our contract was
worded.

In the long run, I would say that a good statistician could show that
todays manufacturing SPC processes produce far more reliable parts than
military screening systems ever did.  There has been a lot of research
done on reliability of plastic Vs ceramic packages and 883 screens Vs
Commercial.  You might try doing some research on the Web using
reliability, Integrated Circuits, Military, and packages as your search
criteria.  There was one web site (I don't have the URL) called the
Reliability Analysis Center (RAC) that has a lot useful information on
it.

Some sources you may want to talk to are the component manufacturers
themselves.  I believe Motorola discontinued their whole military
program and they probably have statistical data to show how good their
parts are Vs the military screen.

I hope you can share any great information you collect.

Max Bernhardt
Woodward Governor Co.
970-962-7376