TECHNET Archives

March 1997

From:
"Wander, Nicholas G" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 14 Mar 1997 09:15:04 -0700
Hi, Andy
We have designed many boards with fine pitch (20 and 25 mil) SMT and
have always used a continuous window around the lands on each side of
the package (no soldermask between lands) for the fine pitch parts. As
far as I know, the lack of soldermask between the lands does not make
bridging worse. We typically use a land width of .012 for .020 pitch and
a land width of .015 for .025 pitch. You need about .002 to .003 land to
soldermask clearance per land side, so the soldermask web width between
lands would be small to non-existent. You should talk to your assembly
house about this. I think they would rather have no soldermask than a
very thin web. I would like to get some responses from some assemblers
about this.

Nick Wander
Unisys, Roseville, MN