TECHNET Archives

March 1997

From:
Bob Metcalf <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 03 Mar 1997 14:24:00 -0800
Ben, one thing you didn't mention is the post clean process after wave
solder. Or are you using a no-clean flux? Either could have an effect on
the solder mask finish. Another possibility could be under cured solder
mask. More details would be helpful in determining if you have a problem.

Bob Metcalf
Morton Electronic Materials

>>> Davis Benjamin L <[log in to unmask]> 03/01/97 12:08am >>>
We are just beginning to use soldermask on our PC boards.  We are
specifying liquid or dry s/m over bare copper (no surface mount).  Our
assembly group is also new at inspecting soldermask boards.  They have
seen on one part (from another division) where the soldermask changes
visually after wave solder.  It changes from a 'glossy' look to a 'dull'
or 'etched' look.  They are unsure if this is a problem.

I have looked thru the ANSI/IPC-SM-840B for any information about this,
but have found none.  Have any of you experienced a similar situation
with soldermask?  I do not know the type of mask, the vendor, or
anything else about the board in question (I've asked our assembly group
to see if they can get this info).  I just want to make sure to specify
the right thing on my drawings without limiting our board vendor(s) too
much and calm any fears of our inspectors.

Thanks for any help...
Ben Davis
Systems & Electronics, Inc.

* If you are having a problem with the IPC TechNet forum please contact
*