TECHNET Archives

March 1997

From:
Neil Maloney <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 13 Mar 1997 08:55:26 -0600 (CST)
Darell:
      I use an "older" technology type PnP, and I have overcome most of my
"hassle of HASL" by lowering the light level for the cameras during the
fiducial recognition process. Some machines use too much light anyway, and
then they try to compensate by boosting the contrast level.  Dramatic, but
not very efficent. Different types of mask are not that much of a problem
either. I use boards from different sources, so I have diffrerent light
levels entered into the machine program.  It speeds things up quite a bit.
    Or if you prefer, you can use one of my "standby" methods--- put a piece
of black electrical tape in front of one (only one) of the light sources to
limit the light level on the on the PCB (or is it PWB?) This method is down,
dirty and cheap, but quick and effective, especially when the board house
tries to play "stump the Process Technician" with inconsistant solder masks.

  All is fair in love, war, and SMT manufacturing.

Neil Maloney
Contemporary Control Systems