TECHNET Archives

March 1997

From:
"Mark W. Spitnale" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 13 Mar 1997 06:01:44 -0500
Reguarding the below question on X-Y Placement data:

We ask our customers for a list of x-y coordinates with rotation in either
Excell or an ASCII text file.  We convert this file into the format needed
for our program generator (I use Excell to add additional required data) and
generate machine pick and place programs from this modified file.  The
programmer needs to verify that the "Zero Degree Orientation" of each
package type is the same for his programming/machine set-up as compared to
the rotation data that was supplied by the customer (i.e.  if a sot-23 is
said to be rotated 90 degrees in the data,  will I get the correct rotation
on the assembly if I rotate the part 90 degrees from the way it came on tape
and reel.  The previous sentance gets confusing to talk about in a few words
but a machine programmer should be familiar with the concept.

At 05:50 AM 3/12/97 -0500, you wrote:
>>From: [log in to unmask] (Michael Weal - RD)
>>To: [log in to unmask] (TechNet)
>>Date: Tue, 11 Mar 1997 10:18:51 -0800
>>Subject: Placement files
>>

>>We have had a little problem in the past with placement files.  We were
>>providing pick and place files for our vendors for a couple years.  We found
>>that we received a couple boards back where two components had been
>>interchanged.  After further investigation into this we found that all our
>>vendors were not using the pick and place files, but would  "bomb-site" the
>>silk-screen for component locations.   With the density of many of the SMT
>>boards it is not surprising that a couple of  reference designators could be
>>confused.  We have played with the idea of providing "placement gerbers" to
>>vendors which would eliminate most of this confusion (reference designators
>>could be placed under the components).
>>
>>My question is:  What is standard in the industry for most board assembly
>>houses with respect to placement files? What do most people provide as
>>placement files?
>>
>>Thanks,
>>     MSW

>>* If you are having a problem with the IPC TechNet forum please contact   *
>>* Dmitriy Sklyar at 847-509-9700 ext. 311 or email at [log in to unmask]      *
>>***************************************************************************
>>

>----------------------------------
>Jeffery L. Hempton              Phone: (219) 429-7335   Fax: (219) 429-4688
>Boardshop Manufacturing Engineer			Mail Stop: 25-31
>Hughes Defense Communications
>1010 Production Road, Fort Wayne, IN 46808-4106
>Email: [log in to unmask]
>
>"Those who dream by day are cognizant of many things which escape those who
>dream only by night"    - -Edgar Allen Poe

Mark W. Spitnale                Phone: (219) 429-5992   Fax: (219) 429-
Hughes Defense Communications                           Mail Stop: 25-31