TECHNET Archives

March 1997

From:
[log in to unmask] (Michael Weal - RD)
Date:
Tue, 11 Mar 1997 10:18:51 -0800

We have had a little problem in the past with placement files.  We were
providing pick and place files for our vendors for a couple years.  We found
that we received a couple boards back where two components had been
interchanged.  After further investigation into this we found that all our
vendors were not using the pick and place files, but would  "bomb-site" the
silk-screen for component locations.   With the density of many of the SMT
boards it is not surprising that a couple of  reference designators could be
confused.  We have played with the idea of providing "placement gerbers" to
vendors which would eliminate most of this confusion (reference designators
could be placed under the components).

My question is:  What is standard in the industry for most board assembly
houses with respect to placement files? What do most people provide as
placement files?

Thanks,
     MSW