TECHNET Archives

March 1997

From:
Jim Herard <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 11 Mar 1997 11:34:35 -0500
Classification:
Prologue:
Epilogue:

On the attached note:

 OSP coatings are fragile, and require careful handling.  Fingerprints will
sometimes affect solderability, with mild fluxes.  More likely though, the
preheat in the assembly process could be too high, causing oxidation of the Cu
surface just prior to assembly reflow.  Quality of the preclean prior to the
application of the 106A is also critical.  Also possible, is mechanical damage
to the Cu surface prior to paste apply; this mechanical damage to the pads
could also expose virgin Cu to the atmosphere.    If you don't need two or
three pass solder processing, standard Entek rather than the
Entek + may  be better.  If the problem is repetitive, analyze the pads prior
to paste apply with IR Spectra or other surface analysis techniques to look for
organics and oxides .  After reflow, you still may be able to detect organics
if they are thick and have not burned away on areas that did not solder.

Also, you may want to investigate solder paste stencil height, which will
affect solder volume, and the wetting angle at the base of the solder joint.  A
highly solderable component lead will attract the solder so that full wetting
of the pad may not occur if solder volume is low and pad is overly large.
Wetting angle will help tell you if you have a solderability problem.

Jim Herard

---------------------- Forwarded by Jim Herard/Endicott/IBM on 03-11-97 11:22 AM

        TechNet-request @ ipc.ipc.org
        03-11-97 11:05 AM