TECHNET Archives

March 1997

From:
Sheila Smith <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 10 Mar 1997 15:39:55 -0500 (EST)
Dimensional stability -- a related question ... does anyone have experience
with staking high profile components [leaded devices, installed in plated
thru holes, leads cinched over on the back side of the board]? We are
thinking of staking with an epoxy adhesive.  We are trying to find a way to
secure the components to keep the thermal movement of the encapsulant from
pulling the parts out of the boards.  Any similar experiences?

Related to the original question about using strain gauges, have you
considered thermomechanical analysis for looking at the behavior of your
typical materials @ reflow temperatures?  TMA measures dimensional changes
over temperature and can be used from -160 to 1200C.  It is very useful for
determining Tg & CTE also.  If you contact me directly, I can furnish names
of several labs that do TMA.

S. Smith
Tracor Aerospace Electronic Systems