TECHNET Archives

February 1997

From:
Curtis Lustig <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 05 Feb 1997 09:23:30 -0800
Mr. Ross,

I don't have any data on the surface tension requirements for optimal
comformal coating compatibility.  For this, I would suggest that you
contact Conap, Humiseal, Dow Corning or another conformal coating
manufacturer.

We have found that the method of application has a big impact on the
compatibility of the conformal coating and the solder mask.  A coating
that properly wets a surface when it is applied by dipping may exhibit
dewetting when it is thinned and sprayed.  The altered surface tension
of the solvent/coating mix is probably a key factor.

In addition, the mask cure conditions, the soldering conditions, the flux
(and its residues) and the post clean process may affect the conformal
coating compatibility.

Sorry I can't be of more help.

Regards,

Curt Lustig