TECHNET Archives

February 1997

From:
Dan Lorinser <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 05 Feb 1997 06:48:15 -0600
Really! I have designed on Mentor, Cadence, Allegro, Cadnetix, CV...
none of them (at the time) could do what you are asking for, and really
what the vendor (CAM) would do. I have handled this problem before, on
Cadence, by making a board symbol with route keepin/outs in the shape
you require. Place this symbol, run your plane processor, remove
symbol. It is kinda like using a stencel.

>>> Ty Thomas <[log in to unmask]> Feb 5, 1997  7:40 am

Hello Siggers,

Here's the scenario:

Board warpage has become an issue in our shop so we are adding fill to
open areas on the boards. Our fab houses like a round or square feature
of varying density. Mentor (version A3F) only has solid or hatch as
options. We have been using the hatch but it may not be optimum. CAM is
probally not an option because we must have 100% repeatability
between revisions, (Compliance approvals etc..) this is also why we
can't let the Fab house do it for us. Oh yeah - We'd like to keep this
automated.

Here's the Q's:

Fab Folks - What would you consider to be an adequate hatch pattern?
.025 width on .05 grid? (If hatch is our only option) What would you
recommend for a spot pattern?

Designers - Are there any other Mentor users adding fill areas and how
do you handle it?

Thanks in advance for any comments or suggestions.

Ty Thomas
Sr Product Packaging Designer
Paradyne Corp.
Largo FL [log in to unmask]
813-530-8434

*
* If you are having a problem with the IPC TechNet forum please contact
*