TECHNET Archives

February 1997

From:
"ROBERT L SEYFERT" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 04 Feb 97 08:24:01 -0500
[This message is converted from WPS-PLUS to ASCII]

Scott,

To minimize confusion, I have been referring to the systems for imaging
phototools as "Dry Write Imaging" or "Direct Write Imaging" (DWI)
systems, and the systems for imaging resist as "Laser Direct Imaging
(LDI)" systems.  What I know:

Dry Write (phototool) systems:
-----------------------------

Barco has been selling the ELISE plotter system for a few years now.  It
was the first system of this type and may still be the only system being
used regularly for production.  There are 6-8 plotters currently
installed, mostly in Europe.

Gerber announced their PRISM-IR (Crescent-50) plotter system at the IPC
Expo last year.  They have recently installed their first system.

Orbotech has been testing a prototype system, but I don't think they have
"officially" announced that they have a product offering yet.

All of these systems use an infrared laser to expose a new and different
phototool film.  The film consists of a layer of bismuth metal coated
onto traditional 7 mil (175 um) polyester base with a 12 um protective
cover layer of polyester.  The film is opaque as delivered and becomes
clear where it is exposed.  The film is called MasterTool MT-8.  It was
developed by Agfa and is available from both DuPont and Agfa.

MasterTool was specifically designed to meet the needs of a phototooling
film for durability, dimensional stability, resolution, etc.  A couple of
other systems that have been introduced recently, but were not
specifically designed for phototooling include:

Polaroid Helios uses gallium-arsenide laser diodes to expose a
photopolymer impregnated with carbon particles.  Exposure causes a shift
in adhesion properties and then a cover sheet is removed, taking with it
the exposed polymer.  A protective overcoat is then applied.  I talked
with an individual from Polaroid about the system while at IPC two years
ago.  He was exploring possible applications in PWB, but I haven't seen
any other activity in this industry.

Xerox has a system called Verde Film they are selling into the graphic
arts and x-ray markets, but I'm not aware of any interest in our market.

Laser Direct Imaging (resist) systems:
-------------------------------------

Laser Imaging Systems (LIS) is a new joint venture between Jenoptik and
Orbotech.  Their DP-40 imager uses a UV laser and resists that are
similar to traditional resists in their spectral sensitivity.  It is
capable of imaging silver phototools as well as resist.

Polyscan has sold LDI systems for a number of years.  They have recently
been purchased by ETEC.  Their imager also uses a UV laser.  I expect
that it is capable of imaging silver phototools as well, but I don't that
it will.

Pentax has shown a system at JPCA each year for the past several years.
It uses a visible laser to expose a specially sensitized resist in a
highly automated system.  The imager is expensive and I understand that
the resist is expensive.

As with any new technology, all of these systems tend to be expensive and
slower than more traditional resist exposure systems.  New advancements
in high power laser technology combined with work to develop higher speed
resists may close that gap in the near future.

I notice there is a workshop on "Direct Write Exposure Techniques" being
led by Jeff Rittichier of ETEC/Polyscan at the IPC Convention in March.
He is also presenting a paper on "Advancements in UV Laser Direct
Imaging".

Bob Seyfert
DuPont Electronics