TECHNET Archives

February 1997

From:
[log in to unmask] (DAVY.J.G-)
Date:
Tue, 4 Feb 1997 15:07:02 -0500
     Mr. Pauls:

     I am sorry - I should have been more careful in what I said in my
     posting on the above subject.  I didn't mean to imply anything at all
     about your particular spec, since I am not familiar with it (as I
     said, what you said in your posting got me to thinking).  I have,
     however, participated in many IPC working group meetings on other
     standards, and I am familiar with the way that decisions are reached.
     In my posting, I was wondering "out loud" whether other people had
     considered the difference between consequences and risk of failure,
     and whether it made sense to indicate in a standard how the differ-
     ences that appear in it were arrived at.  Maybe it's true that in most
     cases determining risk is just too difficult to be worth the effort -
     I don't feel qualified to say.

     Certainly I did not mean to impugn the motives of the participants,
     nor to imply that there was anything wrong with engineering judgment,
     if that's all that's available, nor did I imagine a significant
     lengthening of the standard to indicate sources of information.  I
     don't agree that the "list [of sources of information] is endless".  A
     footnote might simply refer to a published paper that participants
     considered relevant to their decision, or it might simply say "This
     requirement is based on the experience and judgment of the working
     group, including unpublished data.  Relevant data (published or not)
     would be welcomed for consideration in developing future revisions of
     this standard".  If that's too long, the underlying idea could be
     conveyed by a single symbol, or a note could say that where no source
     of data is indicated for a requirement, it is based on engineering
     judgment.  From my own experience, I know that some requirements are
     agreed to without significant disagreement, and others take a long
     time to hammer out.

     What I have in mind is some way of conveying to those who didn't have
     the benefit of participating in the deliberations what the thinking
     was that led to a requirement's being expressed in the way that it is.
     I know the difference between reading a standard that I was not
     involved with and one for which I was present at the meetings.  No
     matter how well the requirements are written, I am able to understand
     and explain a lot more when I got to participate.

     Years ago I found what I thought was excellent guidance for the pre-
     paration of standards in MIL-STD-961, (now titled "Standard Practice
     Defense Specifications").  (I've noticed that few other standards-
     setting organizations have any standard or even published guidance on
     how to write a standard.)  The wording of the part that stands out in
     my mind (para. 5d) has not changed:

          A carefully documented. permanent record should be main-
          tained by the specification preparing activity of the source
          and reason behind particular requirements and changes to
          requirements.  The rationale (measurement, testing, judg-
          ment, etc.) behind a specific numerical level is one example
          of what the record should contain.  Issues and controversial
          areas during the coordination process should be noted, and
          it may be desirable to summarize these issues and areas in
          the "Notes" section of the document and solicit feedback as
          experience develops.  This record should provide a basis for
          related application guidance and a history useful in future
          document revisions.

     Although it appears that few preparers of military specs and standards
     actually follow this guidance, it still seems to me to be a goal worth
     working toward for any preparing activity.

     Gordon Davy