TECHNET Archives

February 1997

From:
Tom Ingham <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 4 Feb 1997 09:10:48 -0700
I would be concerned about bringing the resin above it's Tg for this
length of time in an unsupported fashion.  If the boards were just in a
rack you may be inviting warp.  If they were stacked under weight this
may not be a problem.  I would suggest for safety's sake having this
board built on FR-4 with a minimum Tg 170.  This material is very
readily available.

On Feb 4, 12:03am, Ulrich Korndoerfer wrote:
> Subject: PCBs at 150°C for more than 2 hours
> Hi TechNetters!
>
> We use a multilayer pcb made from basically FR4 with a Tg of 135°C.
> There are pths, blind microvias, buried vias and some fine line wiring
> (only on top and bottom). One of our processing steps in building up
the
> assembly (after smd-soldering both sides and cleaning) is die attach
> with an adhesive. The recommended curing cycle of the adhesive is 1 h
> (actual it may be 2h ore more) at 150°C and is done in a convection
oven
> under normal atmosphere.
>
> I am interested in the cons of above curing temperature and time. Are
> there any reliability issues concerning the pcb? To my knowledge,
> laminating the pcb's by the manufacturer is done at even higher
> temperatures (although under vacuum).
>
> Any comments are welcome.
>
> Ulrich Korndörfer

    *

***
> * If you are having a problem with the IPC TechNet forum please
contact   *
> * Dmitriy Sklyar at 847-509-9700 ext. 311 or email at [log in to unmask]
    *

***

--
Thomas Ingham