TECHNET Archives

February 1997

Date:
Tue, 4 Feb 97 9:53:34 EST
[log in to unmask] (DAVY.J.G-) Wrote:

|      Dave Hillman asked:
|
|      "How have other electronics manufacturers solved the issue of
| having
|      the fabric on the operator's chairs not generate a static
| charge? We
|      are finding that a small charge is building up on the chair
| seats."
|
|      Kevin Seay of Northrop Grumman ESSD replies:
|
|      We purchased ESD chairs.  We typically do not check seats for
| static
|      build up because the operators are grounded through wrist
| straps.
|      Static charge on a chair is no different than a charge on shoes
| or any
|      other part of an operator's clothing. The important issue is
| wrist
|      strap grounding.
|
|      Gordon Davy

ESD protection must be designed specifically for the type of environment
present in your assembly shop.  Each shop is different but the most important
factor is the sensitivity of the components being installed.  You must design
your ESD protection for the most sensitive component involved in the assembly
process.

If you are experiencing failures related to ESD and are looking at chairs as
being the culprit, I suspect you are installing (or handling) some highly
sensitive components.  Generally (and without knowing the details of your
requirements), you can provide sufficient ESD protection for most situations
with an ESD approved work surface, an ESD approved wrist strap, and an air
ionizer.  If these products don't provide sufficient protection, contact the
ESD association at 7902 Turin Rd. Ste 4, Rome NY 13440-2069 Tel: (315)339-6937
or visit their website at www.eosesd.org.

Eric Blazi
Avionics Manufacturing
Robins AFB, Ga