TECHNET Archives

February 1997

From:
"Aric Parr" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
04 Feb 97 07:40:41 -0500

1)      Drop the solder pot to 450 F. We solder transformers, large capacitors,
and surface mount successfully at that temperature. Soldering at 480F will
significantly decrease our throughput and yield, since we will need to slow the
conveyor speed to increase preheat to prevent chip capacitors from cracking.

I don't know if you're capacitors are SMD or leaded.

2)      SMD component specifications indicate 10 seconds dwell allowed at 450 F,
4-5 seconds at 500 F. 450 F should help.

3)      Preheat the capacitors to a SMD profile. 2 C/second temperature rise in
preheat, delta T of 80-10 C between capacitor temperature at entrance to first
solder wave vs. solder pot temperature.

note: not all solder machines are capable of achieving this profile at 480-500F.
Most older machines have insufficient preheat.

-- see attachments --