TECHNET Archives

February 1997

Date:
Wed, 26 Feb 97 15:47:20 EST
     Tony

     We do Full body and selective Electroplated nickel / gold. As a
     precaution we bake our panels at 250'F for 15 minutes after copper
     plate or in the case of selective gold we bake after solder plate
     before second image. The bake process if not controlled can make
     subsequent dry film strip tougher. The process from 1st image through
     gold plate must be done in a timely manner. No staging for 2-3 days
     after image.
     We only do selective gold if circuits requiring gold are isolated. If
     circuits are not isolated the etching process will reduce trace
     thickness may even create opens at the butt line of the gold / copper
     junction. We were successful once by nickel gold plating immediately
     after solder strip but this is a dangerous process to let loose in a
     production environment.
     I do not know of any hard electroless gold and I doubt that it is
     possible. The only reliable source for electroless gold (soft) that I
     know has yet to develop a temporary mask for a selective process.

     Kim