TECHNET Archives

February 1997

From:
Bill Marsh <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 26 Feb 1997 16:09:04 -0800 (PST)
MIL-HDBK-2164 (Handbook For Environmental Stress Screening Process For
Electronic Equipment) and  the Institute for Environmental Sciences
publication "Environmental Stress Screening Guidelines For Assemblies"
both provide extensive guidance in planning, implementing, and monitoring
an ESS program.

ESS is applicable to any electronic equipment, and is conducted to identify
and eliminate incipient or early failures from the equipment.  Feedback
from the  ESS program results should be used to correct process problems,
with the goal of continually improving the production process and process
controls.

>> Richard Ackerson enquired about ESS for populated boards.
>>
>>         Is ESS conducted on printed circuit boards, especially those to
>>be used in harsh condtions? e.g. CCTV survelance equipment exposed to the
>>elements all year
> round, or engine control and monitoring systems under the bonnet or hood
>(depending
>where you> live)
>>         If the answer is yes, can anyone advise me of the specifition
>>and test  regime recommended?
>>
>>         Thank you in anticipation .
>>
>> Roger Hammond

>* If you are having a problem with the IPC TechNet forum please contact   *
>* Dmitriy Sklyar at 847-509-9700 ext. 311 or email at [log in to unmask]      *

Bill Marsh
Phone: 415-604-6979
e-mail: [log in to unmask]