TECHNET Archives

February 1997

From:
"Wander, Nicholas G" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 26 Feb 1997 10:15:59 -0500
Jeff
We have been specifying via plugging from the top side only on some of
our dense boards. This is an additional process step and does add some
cost. About 2/3 of the hole ends up filled with a heat cured polymer.
The bottom side of the filled hole can still be accessed for testing. I
don't think chemical entrapment is a problem with this, but I don't have
any data to prove it. One extra little benefit of this is that you can
put silk screen nomenclature over the top of the plugged vias. We have
done this for reducing shorting and also for reducing secondary reflow
on boards that are wave soldered after surface mount reflow. The plugged
hole reduces heat conduction because the solder from the wave does not
get into the plugged hole very far.

In your case just making the solder mask openings for the vias smaller
on the top side may help. We have some boards where we have the LPI
soldermask covering about half of the pad on top, to reduce shorting.
This works fine and the hole is still open. This would be easy to
implement. OSP would help also.

Nick Wander
Printed Circuit Engineering
Unisys, Roseville, MN