TECHNET Archives

February 1997

From:
"E.Janssens@MT0004" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 04 Feb 1997 06:05:24 EST

   Dear Scott,

   Over the last years several companies announced phototool writing
systems. A.o:
 Agfa - Barco ETS (Elise - Mastertool MT8)
 DuPont - Optrotech (direct write film system)
 Kodak - Screen (direct image setting film and recorder)
 Polaroid - AOI (dry tech image setting system)

   To my best knowledge only one system is in use in PCB production. Today
Elise Mastertool MT8 is in operation with 8 PCB manufactures. Some of them
are also acting as a service bureau, so more manufactures use the
phototools (Eg:Thomson France produces plasma screen with Mastertool MT8
phototools). More installations are planned.
   Barco ETS announced the big sizes successor of the Elise, called
EliseWriter.
   Gerber Systems announced the PRISM-IR (see CircuiTree jan '97). This
plotter can image Mastertool MT8. One system is in operation.
   Orbotech presented their Direct Write Plotter, imaging Mastertool MT8,
at Productronica '95. Orbotech will enter the market soon now.
   The Barco ETS and Gerber Systems imagers will be in operation at the
IPC exhibition.
   All these imagers are external drum or curved bed plotters. They can
not handle rigid boards.

   I know of two Direct Imaging (image the photoresist without the use of
any phototool) systems, available today. Jenoptik (DP 40) and Etec
Polyscan Inc (Laser Direct Imaging System). The latter can image
Mastertool MT8.

   You are welcome to contact me for more info.

   Eric Janssens
   Agfa