TECHNET Archives

February 1997

From:
"ddhillma" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 21 Feb 97 05:26:36 cst
     Hi Steve -

     The short answer to your question is NO! If you don't have an overall
     problem with solderability then "raising the bar" will only increase
     cost without reciprocal benefit. It sounds like you have the
     occasional, vendor specific solderability problem and no wide spread
     issues. Adding any specification requirements only makes sense if the
     additional requirements provide some benefit to the process or product
     for the extra cost or logistics that such requirements will induce.
     The reason for the extra cost for JSTD-002 components is the component
     manufacturers must perform a couple of additional tasks (i.e.
     solderability testing and documentation of those results) that are not
     part of their normal process flow. As for the changing of the
     component part numbers, that may have more to do with how the vendors
     track the component requirements - I know vendors that do not have
     "two" component numbers for a JSTD-002 or nonJSTD-002 component. The
     component vendors processes are just like the assemblers processes -
     nobody is setting up a process to produce "bad" product! JSTD-002 is a
     tool that the electronics industry can use as a baseline benchmark of
     comparison and as a tool for assuring a given level of solderability.
     If you are satisfied that the level of solderability you are receiving
     from your vendors is adequate for your processes and product
     performance then the 'addition" of more solderability requirements is
     not necessary.

     Dave Hillman
     JSTD 002 Committee Chair