TECHNET Archives

February 1997

Date:
Tue, 18 Feb 97 08:25:48 EST
De:   Coderre - JCCODERR BRMVM1
CLASSIFICATION    NON-CLASSIFIE ( )       CONFIDENTIEL ( )

Fellow techneters,

We have been plating Ni/Imm. Au on PCBs for some time now but we have yet
to find aqueous LPI solder masks that will reliably stand up to the
Ni bath.I would appreciate any input on this subject.
Specific issues are :
  1) what are the compatible masks presently in use out there ?
  2) if compatible, what parameters have been found to be critical
     during solder masking and/or plating ?
  3) how is compatiblity verified ? what are the specs for solder
     mask adhesion ?
We have found that, in some cases, the solder mask seems to have a
detrimental effect on gold/nickel adhesion, close to the solder mask
wall. Also, the solder mask lifts off if tape tested.

Thanks in advance for any help on this topic.

Merci/Regards
Directeur Ingenierie MLC / MLC ENG. MGR
Dept 881/23 BRMT (tel. 514-534-6591, US tieline 552)
INTERNET ADDRESS [log in to unmask]