TECHNET Archives

February 1997

Date:
Mon, 17 Feb 1997 09:19:34 +0000
I have found DTC to be a very expensive proposition in the long run
just to get the last few ppm of copper or lead out of a waste stream.
 The problem usually has been a little bit of hydroxide fluf  floating out
off the system .   Usually a  final filter will capture all of the
material and get you within limits very easily and automatically
(even at 150 gpm).

Check out what the cost of changing for a year would be, then check
out the cost of an automatic final filter to polish the waste stream.
  I'd bet you could add a duplex final filter and a chelated metal recovery
system at the end for what the cost of the mag/hydrox and DTC over 2
years.

You could also investigate changing polymers.  Just because the
polymer you are using doesn't work with stripper/surfactant solutions
doesn't mean you are dead.  You may even be able to use a blend of
polymers to get you into compliance easily.

Another problem may be flow rate.  Your sludger may be designed for
1/3 of the flow you're running through it.  You may find that a
little water conservation in front of the system will help you alot
out back.  I've seen shops cut water flows by 60-70% with a little
thought.

The real problem is with using a precipitation system in the first
place because they are very hard to automate.  They are sensitive to
variations in flow rates an to sludge volumns.  You have to watch
them pretty much constantly.  You can keep band- aiding  a sludger forever.
I don't actually know of  a PC shop buying  a sludging system in the last 5 years.

Bob Mesick
Remco Engineering
www.remco.com/home.htm