TECHNET Archives

February 1997

Date:
Mon, 17 Feb 1997 09:19:34 +0000
Hi,

Electrowinning is not custom synthesis?  Make pretty
rocks out sludge (malachite)?  People spend a lot of money to dig up malachite to make
copper.  Why reverse the process?  Waste treatement is not a profit
center for most shops and I doubt that an additional cost burden will
be look upon favorably by the owners.  Hauling salts is more
expensive that hauling metal.  The trade off is what is the cost of
generating the metal vs the salt vs the ooh ahs from the local
regulators as they look at your "clean" recycling system.  The show
is worth a few buck but I don't think you're going to find the cost
of generating a complex salt cheaper that what is being done now.  In
fact, unless the mines close, you're not going to get any cost
benefit by changing what everyone is doing now.  I guarantee you, the
excess costs have been pretty much rung out of waste treatement.

I doubt if you're going to get someone to fund this for you.  Now, if
you get a no maintanence  electroless electrowinning system, now that
would be something that you could sell!

Bob Mesick
Remco Engineering
www.remco.com/home.htm