TECHNET Archives

February 1997

From:
<[log in to unmask]> (Vernon Pursley)
Date:
Fri, 14 Feb 97 16:03:15 PST

We use an 18"x24" panel during manufacturing and create 12"x18" or > subpanels
for a number of our customers.  This is accomplished by performing a panel
shear or rout at the profile rout process.

We incorporate the different assembly tooling hole configurations as part of a
panel border file for each customer during the front end tooling process.

"Mark W. Spitnale" <[log in to unmask]> Wrote:

| Can you help?,
|
| We are a High Mix (120 SMD/Mixed  and 80 LTH), Low Volume
| board shop that's
| using 2 standard PCB widths to reduce our machine set-up
| requirements.  We
| are investigating our panelization techniques and would
| like to here from
| some others and see how they have approached the problem.
|
| Do other Med - High Mix companies try to standardize on
| panel width?
|
| What panel width(s) do you use as standard(s)?
|
| Do other companies build loose PCB's to because of the
| associated problems
| with board cost / yield when panelization?
|
| If building with loose boards, how do you tool the line
| (assuming an inline
| automated handling system from machine to machine)?
|
| Can anyone share their experiences in building single or
| 2-up panels with a
| breakaway Tab / Rail that contains all of the tooling
| features (holes)
| needed for automated handling?
|

|                                 Mark Spitnale
|                                 Hughes Defense
|                                 (219) 429-5992
| ----------------------------------
| Mark W. Spitnale                Phone: (219) 429-5992
| Fax: (219) 429-
| Hughes Defense Communications
| Mail Stop: 25-31
| 1010 Production Road, Fort Wayne, IN 46808-4106
| Email: [log in to unmask]

| no text.        *
| * If you are having a problem with the IPC TechNet forum
| please contact   *
| * Dmitriy Sklyar at 847-509-9700 ext. 311 or email at

Vern Pursley, Applications Engineering
Merix Corporation
Phone: 503-992-4404;FAX 503-359-2651;