TECHNET Archives

February 1997

From:
"Luis Rivera" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 14 Feb 1997 13:55:02 -0600 CDT

Roger,

I do not have anything to suggest for the .002 lines and spaces.

On the depth drilling and plating, depending on design constraints,
you may be able to gain something if it is possible to depth drill
the blind vias deeper than .016.

We have been able to plate down to .015 but the vias had to be at
least twice as deep for the vibration and hammering to work. In
this approach, the bottom of the via did not plate but there was
reliable connection to the interconnecting layers that fell within
the .015 depth.

In our case, we also we found it easier to nickel/gold plate the depth
drilled and plated vias than to tin/lead plate. Again, this may or
may not be possible due to design and cost considerations.

Good luck,

Luis Rivera
CompuRoute, Inc.
Dallas, TX