TECHNET Archives

February 1997

From:
"ddhillma" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 13 Feb 97 06:30:19 cst
     Hi Ron -

     We have run into the same "opportunity"! As part of our transition
     from RMA type fluxes to low residue materials there was a point when
     both materials were on the factory floor (and there are still a few
     holdouts that still have an RMA flux pen stashed away for use!). As
     part of our compatibility testing we looked at what would happen if
     the RMA and low residue materials ended up mixing and found no
     problems. We have phased in low residue flux pens that perform the
     same function as the old RMA pens and it was not too tough to get
     acceptance on the factory floor. The easy test is to run an SIR coupon
     that has a RMA/low residue mix on it that has seen your process flow
     (i.e. duplicate the factory situation) - that will give you some proof
     that there are no compatibility issues

     After going through the RMA to low residue conversion I really have to
     laugh at what we (well, military assemblers anyway) lived with for so
     long. We could only use RMA type fluxes because the activators were
     not aggressive enough to cause corrosion and the Rosin portion of the
     flux would "trap" the activators that didn't decompose during
     soldering. Yet, there was always a requirement to clean flux off of
     the assemblies and leave no residue - talk about a strange logic
     sequence! Low residue materials are more process sensitive but
     definitely have advantages over RMA's in the assembly process. Good
     luck with your transition.

     Dave Hillman
     Rockwell Collins