TECHNET Archives

February 1997

From:
BLDG 3 OPS <"BLDG 3 OPS"@hsd.utc.com>
Reply To:
Date:
Wed, 12 Feb 1997 10:40:13 -0800
I have an application where we are bonding leaded SMT parts (Ceramic &
Plastic QFP and Flatpacks) using a contact adhesive (double-sided) tape
because it is easy to apply and doesn't require a heat cure.
Unfortunately, the tolerance stack up causes conditions where bonding
cannot be assured.  Also, when these adhesive are subjected to the high
temperature of the convection reflow oven the thickness increases
temporarily causing the part to lift, the solder soldifies, and the tape
thickness returns to it's original thickness.

We tried changing to a film adhesive, but have not been able to find one
that could be cured during the reflow solder process.  The temperature
profile is not sufficient to cure these materials and we can't subject
the assembly to an oven cure because of the solder paste that has
already been deposited.

Does anyone have an adhesive material that has been demonstrated to cure
during a typical reflow solder profile, that comes in eather a preform
or a dispensible paste/liquid?  Also, does anyone have a similar
situation in which they solder the parts first and then inject adhesive
through an access hole later, followed by a cure step?  If so, how has
it worked out.  We don't like to add secondary processes, but I don't
see much alternative.

Thanks,  Peter H. Cote