TECHNET Archives

February 1997

From:
[log in to unmask] (Guenter Grossmann)
Date:
Tue, 11 Feb 1997 10:08:31 +0100
Dear Doug

Well this was a long mail. And it was interesting. In being one of the
'ivory tower scientists' you mentioned I'd like to add a point. We did some
SIR testing in a project. 4 different flux types, 4 levels of rel.
humidity, 4 levels of temperature, testing time 1000h, SIR measurement once
a day. A really interesting work. Interesting results. I tried to present
the data compressed, understandable to the 'lesser educated populace' as
you said. The result? I was told to be not on a sufficient academic level.
People thought that having only enough time and money they could easily
find the same results, draw the same conclusions without supporting a
project at a polytech. Now there is no founding left for further research
in this field. No money, no time to work on because we are pretty busy in
hunting for new projects that give us the founds necessary to maintain the
lab. So, 'two harts are in my chest'. One that asks for academic
reputation, one that wants to be understood. But the big problem in
research is the fact that much of the fun has gone since the governments
are short on money. Founding has to be organised in industry.This means you
can't work anymore in a field which is interesting and has open questions.
You have to go for projects having a short term benefit for the supporting
industry, present the data as complex as possible in order to be accepted
as the only smart guy understanding what you are talking about, and you are
forced to keep always some data back to justify further projects.

I believe there are universities in the US having similar problems. Isn't
there the possibility to support them and having in exchange someone
performing serious tests, producing sensible results. Having a guru at side
( boy what would I be without the knowledge of the guys in the production
line or the quality departments ) I believe a university should be able to
produce data that are accessible without hurting somebody.

Cordially

Guenter Grossmann
Swiss Federal Institute of Technology