TECHNET Archives

February 1997

Date:
Mon, 10 Feb 1997 12:49:43 -0500 (EST)
<<  Any one out there can spell out for me on MIL-2000 , as to what this
 standard is for , eg, whether it is for Product or for process or for
 product qualification etc. etc. ??

 I'm really stuck with this, need your help.

 Thanks in anticipation
 Vishal Gupta >>

Vishal,
MIL-STD-2000 was a military standard used to define the requirements for high
reliability military electronic assemblies.  In essence, it was a "world"
soldering standard for many years.  It defined what a good and bad solder
joint was, how many you could have, what needed to be inspected in an
assembly process, how often, etc.  It was very detailed and told you exactly
what you needed to do.  Appendix A of that document told you what you had to
do in order to qualify a new manufacturing process.

I use the past tense in this writing as MIL-STD-2000A was cancelled without
replacement in June of 1995.  It is still in force for many existing
contracts throughout the world.  A more recent alternative to that standard
is ANSI J-STD-001.  The B revision is now current, but the A revision had
more information for the novice.  All of that "how to" type of information
was removed from the A revision into a Handbook that is presently being
drafted.

If you have military contracts, or commercial contracts requiring
MIL-STD-2000 compliance, then you should be concerned about this
specification.  If you are going after new contracts, MIL-STD-2000 is
obsolete and your time would be better spent on J-STD-001.

The J-Standards are available through the IPC.

Doug Pauls
CSL