TECHNET Archives

February 1997

From:
"ddhillma" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 03 Feb 97 09:09:41 cst
     Hi Doug -

     This may seem to be a trivial point but the JSTD-001 committee spent
     considerable time (I mean a bunch!) on the discussion of "high
     reliability' versus "high performance" as a descriptor. We all want
     our electronics to be very reliable whether its on a F-16, a 1997
     Chevy or my boy's Teddy Ruxpin toy. There is a natural tendency to
     look at a specification's classifications and pick the "high
     reliability" choice because of one's impressions about that descriptor
     seems to indicate rather than looking at what one's use environment
     really demands. That's why in JSTD-001 there is General electronics,
     Dedicated electronics, and High performance electronics with
     descriptions of each. We probably should petition Dave Bergman to see
     about getting this philosophy discussed as something for all the
     specifications within the IPC system. Ok, now I'll go get a Coke and
     get off my soapbox.

     Dave Hillman
     Rockwell Collins