TECHNET Archives

February 1997

From:
"ddhillma" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 07 Feb 97 07:04:12 cst

Hi Phillip -

I'll take a stab at your #4:

**4)  We have run a no clean process for five years without ever having a
failure related to solderballs, but we have been asked to eliminate solderballs
entirely.  Is this too much to ask from a no clean process?**

***The folks I have talked with and the technical articles I have found on the
subject of solderballing seem to fall into two camps:

(camp 1): Solderballs are part of a no-clean process and can be avoided if you
characterize your solder process very well and select/understand the low residue
flux vehicle that you are using

(camp 2): Solderballs are an inevitable part of a no-clean process and provided
that one can show they do not cause a reliability problem in the products use
environment no one is concern about their presence.

We have one program that has been using low residue materials and has just now
completed our internal "qual" for using a no-clean process flow. We did have
solderballs but were able to eliminate them (and yes I mean eliminate them
99.99999%) with some process changes and some assembly design changes. The
product is simple 50 mil pitch technology so making the jump to a no-clean
process flow wasn't very challenging - I suspect had it been 16 or 20mil pitch
technology things would have not gone as smooth.

Who asked you to eliminate the solderballs? An internal or external customer and
was there a technical reason or just an risk assessment concern? I believe in
the camp 2 philosophy but live in a camp 1 environment. Hopefully other
TechNetee's can relate their experiences.

Dave Hillman
Rockwell Collins