TECHNET Archives

February 1997

Date:
Thu, 20 Feb 1997 15:26:58 -0500

Steve,

This sounds like a job for ANSI J STD-002 category 1!!!! This is nothing more
than a dip and look test to see if the component leads will take solder " as
received " at your incoming. You are quite correct that if you don't have any
board level soldering problems and you don't have any customer returns for poor
solder joints, then you are probably ok and a cost increase may not be prudent.
On the other hand, if you are having sporadic problems in either of these
area's, you may want to consider the use of a category 2 or 3 requirement. What
is the risk vs reward? What happens to your customer if there are solder
joint/electrical failures on the product you sold to your customer in the field?
If solder joint failure causes a toy malfunction, you may percieve the value of
solderability test requirements differently than if a hard drive crashes or a
CRT goes out or worse. Most quality suppliers will meet the category 3
8 hr steam age requirement, even on the plastic/commercial grade product and do
not charge more for it. Now the supplier may charge more if you insist that they
do the solderability test on samples from each lot they send you. Usually
suppliers use a skip lot plan to monitor and guarantee the process is capable
but that does not mean that your particulr lot will necessarily have a sample
pulled and tested, although sometimes it will.

I suspect that you are not talking to the right people at your existing supplier
or else the persons you are talking to think you want to add a solderability
test to their manufacturing flow. I think what you are looking for is to
determine the level of capability your component suppliers exhibit with respect
to solderability test performance. It seems to me a reasonable request to ask if
a component supplier can meet category 1 or 2 or 3 of the ANSI J STD-002. This
is just asking for what probably already exists in the lead finish manufacturing
or QA records of the component supplier. This is not the same as asking the
supplier to provide QA solderability test data for each lot you buy. I would be
amazed if any supplier was producing and shipping components without some kind
of idea on the solderability of the units being shipped. That would be like
assembling components and not doing electrical test!

Anyway,  good luck.

Regards,

 Mark Kwoka
 Harris Semiconductor