TECHNET Archives

February 1997

Date:
Mon, 17 Feb 1997 14:28:39 -0800
Well I have to agree that job postings should be allowed.  Anyone in
management who is worried about losing employess and/or employees wasting
company time "surfing the net" has a bigger problem they are overlooking.  A
happy healthy employee does neither.

When I hit the salary ceiling at my company, I told them I could not live on
what they were paying me and I fully understood what the pay scales were for
my profession.  I asked them if I could burn the "midnight oil" and they had
no problem with it as long as it was not for another company in the same
line of business as ours (DUH!).

It has been three years and it has worked out well for both myself and my
employer.  I own a side design business and apply some of the things I have
learned from my company on side jobs.  Things I learn on side jobs get
applied to my main job.  Of course only when they don't violate
confidentiality laws.

I don't know about the rest of the country, but I work 80 to 100 hours a
week, 45-50 at my job and 50 on my side business because there are many
companies who cannot find good people for the posistions be it becasue of
money or working conditions.  Some places I have seen are the absolute pits
and it is obvious that these are the ones worried about losing employees due
to job postins.

BTW, I have been with the above mentioned company for ten years and wouldn't
stay if I was not happy.  There is plenty of work out there if you're
willing to work and have a positive attitude.

*** Disclaimer ***
The above spew does not represent the views of my company (Bruno Mahli) or Mr.
Simspon or other interested or disinterested parties