TECHNET Archives

January 1997

From:
"David Creager "<[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 8 Jan 1997 07:09:00 -0600
To get a heavier sludge with a greater copper removal try using Ferric
Chloride as the metal for the electron transfer. If your stream is
typically  less than 100 ppm of copper coming in, Ferric Chloride (conc
needed determined by jar tests) and lime above pH of 8 can yield  final
water copper concentrations less than 100 ppb. If the pH is kept above
12.5, a softening effect will take place and Calcium Chloride and
Magnesium compounds will precipitate out and the copper will
resolubilize.  Chelating agents in you waste stream will complex your
metals and are difficult to break the bonds  to get the copper out of
solution. There are some commercially available polymers that attach
these chelates and then allow the Ferric compounds to work.

This type of treatment is typical of water treatment for large scale
power plants which have very low discharge permits.

Dave Creager
Industrial Chemist